Rally in the afternoon.
A rally of farmers, traders, women and general public under the banner Safe Food Alliance started in Gandhi Puram near Thiruvalluvar Bus stand. Mr. Vellaian , president of Tamil Nadu vanigar Sangam presided the inaugural of the rally and Mr. Su. Si. Kalaiarasan of Viduthalaigal siruthaigal inaugurated the the rally.
- Women from women collective were wearing vegetables as ornaments and shouted against GMOs.
- Mr. Markandan, former Vice chancellor of Gandhi Gram Rural University presided the demonstration in front of the Red Cross Society in Coimbatore at the end of the 5km long procession. He strongly condemned the Government of India and government of Tamil Nadu for having mindlessly allowing GMOs in our country.
- Mr.Vellaiyan Leader of Tamil Nadu appealed to political parties take resolve to make the state GM Free and announce the same before Lok Sabha election and should implement if they are elected to power or should continue to fight against GMOs if they happened to be in opposition. He declared on behalf of Vanigar sangam that his organisation is even prepared to take violent means to destroy the field trails if it absolutely necessary to prevent the entry of GMOs in Tamil Nadu and to ensure the health and safety of people. He further said that the members of vanigar sangam and their family will cast their votes only to the parties who come out clearly against GMOs.
- Ms. Saral, secretary of the Women’s collective of the Nilgiris district came out very strongly against the anti farmer and anti people research initiatives of the Tamil Nadu Agriculture University (TNAU) for the benefit of Trans National Agri Business giant Monsanto by conducting the open field trials in the university campus.
- Mr. Valukku Parai balu veteran farmers leader said that farmers totally rejected the GMOs as it will take away the farmers control over the seeds and a serious threat to fertility of the land and human and animal health.
- Mr.Ce.Ma.Velusamy, M.L.A and former minister of Tamil Nadu government and Mr.Pollachi. Jeyaraman, Ex.Minister were also extended their solidarity on behalf their party.
- Ms. Grace from the Nesakarangal, a part of the Tamil Nadu Womens Forum, N.S. Palanisamy, C.Nallusamy, Mr. Balusamy, Er. Ramasamy, Mr.Thulasimani, Mr.S.Kannaiyan, Mr.Ram Mohan, Vetavalam Manikandan and Mr.R.Selvam were expressed their commitment and extended their solidarity for the ban and banishment of GMOs.
Demands for the Tamil Nadu Government by the safe food alliance:
- Burn and destroy the GM corn field trial presently being conducted in the campus of the university,
- GM crops and their field trials should be banned immediately. All State agricultural universities (SAU) must disengage any partnership research on GM crops with any private companies.
- No GM foods should be allowed through imports or through other means. Strict action should be taken on illegal imports.